For the expertise in electromagnetic fields and waves, antennas and propagation see Electromagnetic waves and fields
Areas of expertise:
- Video compression: AVC, SVC, MVC, HEVC, 3D
- 3D video creation and processing: depth estimation, view synthesis, free-viewpoint video
- Video processing: surveillance applications.
- Video watermarking
- Audio compression and processing: low-bitrate coding, USAC, spatial audio etc.
- Video and audio codec implementations - software and hardware (FPGA etc.)
- Digital television, interactive television, free-view tv
- IP cores development, FPGA programming, Design for FPGA
International standardization activities in multimedia:
- ~80 contributions to MPEG (ISO) and JVT / JCT-VC / JCT-3V (ISO + ITU).
- Our scalable video codec was ranked within three the best codecs in MPEG March 2004 contest for scalable coding (the other codecs were from HHI Berlin and MS Research Asia)
- Organization of the 73rd MPEG and 16th JVT Meetings in Poznań (July 2005) – first meeting in Central Europe
- Proposal to USAC – SBR extension (Audio group, 2010)
- Improvements to Depth Estimation Reference Software
- We have been ranked among two the best proponents worldwide - for 3D HEVC-based video codec – November 2011
Examples of major research achievements with practical implications:
- First worldwide stereoscopic system for vehicle dimension estimation (2013)
- Experimental system for free-viewpoint television – partially in cooperation with Orange Labs (2012).
- Outstanding proposal for HEVC-based 3D video coding technology – we have been ranked among two the best proponents for HEVC-based 3D video coding technology in MPEG 2011 contest
- Outstanding proposal for scalable video coding technology - ranked within three the best codecs in MPEG March 2004 contest for scalable coding
- One of the very first worldwide AVC decoders for television set-top-boxes (early 2004) – cooperation with ADB